[pulseaudio-discuss] master volume at zero and muted when pulseaudio starts

Frank Wilson fajwilson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 14:35:07 PDT 2012

Hi,

I logged into a full gnome-session to try out your example.

First, I started by using test-speakers to confirm that my sound had
become muted since pulseaudio started.

Then I installed the following to run your example:
gstreamer0.10-base-plugins
gstreamer0.10-good-plugins
gstreamer0.10-good
gstreamer0.10-ugly-plugins
gstreamer0.10-ugly

Then I tried your examples. I'm afraid I did not get the same
behaviour as you. My system
did not play any audiable sound for either alsasink or the pulsesink.

Only when I had done "alsactl init 0", could I hear the mp3 given to gstreamer.

Note I can also repeat the same test but instead of doing "alsactl
init 0", I can get the sound back by going into alsamixer unmuting the
master channel and raising the volume on the master channel (where it
is set to 0).

Thanks,

Frank