[pulseaudio-discuss] Logging startup of the first instance...

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Mon Jun 11 01:12:20 PDT 2012

On 06/11/2012 02:35 AM, rong deng wrote:
> 2012/6/4 David Henningsson<david.henningsson at canonical.com>:
>> Sometimes I have users who complain about some problem, but after a
>> "pulseaudio -k" the problem is gone. Therefore asking them to restart
>> pulseaudio with -vvvv switch will not give any information about the error.
>>
>>   * I could log to syslog (the default), but once I enable debug level log,
>> the syslog daemon can start to ratelimit, especially during the startup
>> phase of pulseaudio.
>>
>>   * I could log to file, but then that file would quickly get overwritten, as
>> soon as pulseaudio restarts.
>>
>> Is there a trick I'm missing here? Or would it be possible to add some kind
>> of expansion to the log file name to make the files unique?
>
> Hi David,
>
> I'm doing the GSoC to enhance the logging functionality in pulseaudio,
> I could take a look at this issue and try to improve it a little bit.
> :)

Yes, I was actually thinking the same :-) Thanks!

Not sure how to do it in the best way though. I'm figuring that at least
a timestamp and pid should be possible to insert into the log file name
in a configurable way.
Also we probably don't want to reinvent the wheel but use the expansion
mechanisms provided by ...something around us, or some library we're
already depending on, if we can find anything of use?
Maybe someone else knows more on the topic.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic