[pulseaudio-discuss] Skype stops Amarokstream for a second

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sat Jun 16 11:36:52 PDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 15:16 +0200, Sascha Manns wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am Samstag, 16. Juni 2012, 13:45:23 schrieb Sascha Manns:
> > The following situation: I'm running a Balsam Professional Linux system
> > which was the boxed product for the openSUSE distro.
> > And if i'm listening Music with Amarok, and a Skype Contact comes up, Amarok
> > stops the music, then comes the Skype tone, and then Amarok starts with the
> > last title.

This sounds like the event sound from Skype is tagged as "phone", and
module-cork-music-on-phone (or module-role-cork if you're running
PulseAudio 2.0) pauses Amarok for the duration of the sound...

> Just now i've seen, that the same situation happens if the KDE Notfier gives
> an Message. That one breaks the Amarok Sound too.

...but this sounds like something different. I'm not sure if Skype tags
or in some version has tagged its event sounds as "phone" (it's a bug if
it does that), but I'm pretty sure KDE Notifier doesn't tag its event
sounds as "phone". The problem might be then flat-volume related
instead.

You can try commenting out module-cork-music-on-phone/module-role-cork
in /etc/pulse/default.pa. If that helps, then it's a problem with
Skype/KDE Notifier stream roles. If that doesn't help, you can try
writing "flat-volumes = no" in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf.