[pulseaudio-discuss] status report from Deng Zhengrong Jun 15th

rong deng dzrongg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 06:05:32 PDT 2012

2012/6/21 David Henningsson <david.henningsson at canonical.com>:
> On 06/15/2012 04:24 PM, rong deng wrote:
>>
>> 2. write a first version of ring buffer log support. Now we have a per
>> thread log pool. So therefore different threads would not be blocked
>> for a long time. However, as in the current (first) implementation,
>> the log reading has to block other log writing. But remember, the log
>> reading doesn't happen much often, so I think we can bear with it.
>

> Actually, you can write a lock free ring buffer with one consumer and one
> producer, and the consumer and producer being in separate threads.

Should it be multiple producers and one consumer?

>> Besides, in order to make it an advanced option to use, I've also
>> added another log target called "ring". The default log target is to
>> send the logs to stderr, but after we call "pacmd set-log-target ring"
>> we can make it log all the logs into the new ring buffer. and to read
>> the log, we can use "pactl log" to get the all the logs. Nice? :)
>

> Can you give a practical example of how you envision this being practically
> useful? I'm not saying there isn't a use case, just that I don't see it
> right now. :-)

To have such facility, we can even view the logs on another machine
via pactl connecting to it. And with this log, we can have advanced
features like filtering etc. I'm not saying that we can do the above
by the current code, if it simplifies some work, then it could be
useful to some people.

More use cases can be come up. :D

--deng