[pulseaudio-discuss] asoundrc, configure one virtual device for both input and output

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Fri Jun 29 08:27:33 PDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-06-29 at 23:54 +0900, Amar Akshat wrote:
> Well I understand what you mean, however the problem at my end is a
> combination of two, in which automatic routing just can't work as far
> as I can see.
>

> 1). I need to be able to specify sound card "name", so that my program
> can operate sound to/from that device.

You're apparently using an alsa application. If it asks you a sound card
name, tell it to use "default". That should then forward the sound to
pulseaudio if alsa is set up correctly.

> 2). Multiple applications within my program shall be able to use the
> same sound -card.

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. What's the difference
between "application" and "my program" here? If you tell all
applications to use "default", then all applications will use the same
sound card, and your problem is solved?

> Now, I can shoot item #2, by creating a virtual device in asoundrc,
> but to shoot item# 1, I need sound_device name, which has to be same
> for sink and source. By using tools (eg. pavucontrol), I can specify a
> default behaviour, but can I specify name based sound routing ? I mean
> is it possible that I specify a device there say, X - which can use
> pulse_1 as sink and pulse_2 as source.

With pavucontrol you can route each application where ever you want. I
feel that I'm not understanding what you're asking...