[pulseaudio-discuss] Enabling --as-needed by default?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Mar 12 10:26:07 PDT 2012

'Twas brillig, and Tanu Kaskinen at 12/03/12 17:01 did gyre and gimble:
> The recent build problems introduced me to the --as-needed linker
> option. The as-needed behavior sounds sensible to me, so I wonder why we
> don't use it by default?

Mostly due to Lennart not liking it IIRC (or was that -Wl,no-undefined?)

All of our distro packages are build with as-needed and no-undefined
options anyway (via various libtool hacks IIRC) and can be disabled on a
per-package basis via some macros.

So generally speaking I'm in favour of this if at all possible.
(I've personally had --as-needed option disabled in my packages despite
distro policy for years as it caused issues long ago and I never
actually turned it back on!)

  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/