[pulseaudio-discuss] no output from pulseaudio on embedded arm platform

Jan Pohanka xhpohanka at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 02:59:29 PDT 2012

Hello,

I would like to run pulseaudio on our custom board with dm365 processor
(arm926ej-s core). After some patching I have the sound running with alsa
utils - I can use aplay and arecord commands and they works.

I compiled pulseaudio 1.1 using buildroot. Now when I run pulseaudio
deamon I'm getting these warnings
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root
(unless --system is specified).
W: [pulseaudio] server-lookup.c: Unable to contact D-Bus:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported: Using
  X11 for dbus-daemon autolaunch was disabled at compile time, set your
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS instead
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: Unable to contact D-Bus:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported: Using X11 for
dbus-daemon autolaunch was disabled at compile time, set your
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS instead

I do not have a X11 server on the board so I hope I can ignore these
warnings.

Unfortunately when I try to use paplay command to play a wav file I hear
no sound and it also never ends and has to be killed. The log from aplay
follows:
Opening a playback stream with sample specification 's16le 1ch 8000Hz' and
channel map 'mono'.
Connection established.
Stream successfully created.
Buffer metrics: maxlength=4194304, tlength=32000, prebuf=31682, minreq=320
Using sample spec 's16le 1ch 8000Hz', channel map 'mono'.
Connected to device alsa_output.platform-soc-audio.0.analog-stereo (0, not
suspended).
Stream started.
Time: 1.972 sec; Latency: 1984330 usec.

list-sinks in pacmd gives following info:
1 sink(s) available.
   * index: 0
         name: <alsa_output.platform-soc-audio.0.analog-stereo>
         driver: <module-alsa-card.c>
         flags: HARDWARE DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY FLAT_VOLUME DYNAMIC_LATENCY
         state: SUSPENDED
         suspend cause: IDLE
         priority: 9009
         volume: 0: 100% 1: 100%
                 0: 0.00 dB 1: 0.00 dB
                 balance 0.00
         base volume: 100%
                      0.00 dB
         volume steps: 65537
         muted: no
         current latency: 0.00 ms
         max request: 0 KiB
         max rewind: 0 KiB
         monitor source: 0
         sample spec: s16le 2ch 16000Hz
         channel map: front-left,front-right
                      Stereo
         used by: 0
         linked by: 0
         configured latency: 0.00 ms; range is 0.50 .. 2000.00 ms
         card: 0 <alsa_card.platform-soc-audio.0>
         module: 4
         properties:
                 alsa.resolution_bits = "16"
                 device.api = "alsa"
                 device.class = "sound"
                 alsa.class = "generic"
                 alsa.subclass = "generic-mix"
                 alsa.name = ""
                 alsa.id = "generic stream generic-hifi-0"
                 alsa.subdevice = "0"
                 alsa.subdevice_name = "subdevice #0"
                 alsa.device = "0"
                 alsa.card = "0"
                 alsa.card_name = "DaVinci EYE03"
                 alsa.long_card_name = "DaVinci EYE03 (generic_codec)"
                 device.bus_path = "platform-soc-audio.0"
                 sysfs.path = "/devices/platform/soc-audio.0/sound/card0"
                 device.string = "hw:0"
                 device.buffering.buffer_size = "128000"
                 device.buffering.fragment_size = "8000"
                 device.access_mode = "mmap+timer"
                 device.profile.name = "analog-stereo"
                 device.profile.description = "Analog Stereo"
                 device.description = "DaVinci EYE03 Analog Stereo"
                 module-udev-detect.discovered = "1"
                 device.icon_name = "audio-card"

Could please someone here give me some advice how to get pulseaudio
working?

best regards
Jan

http://www.opera.com/mail/