[pulseaudio-discuss] Trying to update translations

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Fri Mar 23 08:50:01 PDT 2012

So I tried to update the Swedish translation, and it feels like things
are not that great.

First and foremost, a lot of entries are marked "fuzzy". In 90% of the
cases, these are plain wrong and are better left without translation at
all. Example:

#: ../src/utils/pacmd.c:184
#, fuzzy, c-format
msgid "poll(): %s"
msgstr "fork(): %s"

...and this brokenness is the rule, not the exception. (And in the
example above one can wonder why a translation was made in the first
place.) In some cases these do not even fit their format strings. Btw, I
have seen some crashes in pa_log_level_meta lately, I wonder if this is
related?

Second, to actually try my new translation without having to do a make
install, I had to do a trick (which I found out using strace) :

(cd to build directory)
mkdir -p share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES
cp po/sv.gmo share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo

Other than that, *what* we translate is also under criticism, but this
is partially old news. Mostly because translations should be removed,
but e g pactl also needs a little overhaul as its strings are half
translatable, half untranslatable. E g, in "Muted: no", one can
translate "Muted: " but not "no". Looks a bit ugly when half translated.

Oh well, this was mostly complaints/venting, but after 3000 lines of
broken translations your head can get a bit mushy...!

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic