[pulseaudio-discuss] no output from pulseaudio on embedded arm platform

Jan Pohanka xhpohanka at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 23:28:07 PDT 2012

Hello,

I'm trying to clarify myself the memory requirements of pulseaudio and how
it should be done on embedded system. Actually I have arm based board (TI
dm365) with 128MB of RAM. I'm using the most of this memory as buffers for
video application so only 54MB are available for the linux.
When I run pulseaudio -D (with all settings to default) the top command
gives me following output:
   PID  PPID USER     STAT   VSZ %MEM %CPU COMMAND
   148     1 root     S <  89472 202%   0% pulseaudio -D

This is just virtual memory, from /proc/meminfo I noticed that pulseaudio
uses ~4MB of physical RAM.
However when I try to run pulseaudio --system it fails on mmap. Does it
use the memory in system mode differently?
What is the optimal settings for pulseaudio on a such memory limited
system. Actually I need pulse just because ofono uses it to control the
sound system, so there will just one or two audiostreems...

best regards
Jan

http://www.opera.com/mail/