[pulseaudio-discuss] Unsynchronised ALSA and PA volumes with fast user switching

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Fri Mar 30 08:22:03 PDT 2012

Steps to reproduce:
Log in as user A.
Fast user switch to user B.
Let user B change port / volume / mute.
Fast user switch back to user A.

At this point ALSA and PA volumes are unsynchronised, ALSA is still at
B's volume, whereas PA thinks it has A's volume.

I'm trying to make PA set ALSA to A's volume when A comes back, but the
best I can come up with is an ugly hack: to
1) read the old volume
2) call set_port
3) read the volume again and discard the result (!)
4) set the old volume

It seems difficult just to "invalidate" the remembered ALSA
port/volume/mute and set it again, but I might very well be missing
something (all these volumes are a bit mind-boggling).

Ideas welcome.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic