[pulseaudio-discuss] How to debug intermittent audio skips?

Charles Lindsay accounts at chazomatic.us
Thu May 3 22:32:14 PDT 2012

Hey guys, I was hoping I could get some help debugging a problem I'm having
with PulseAudio.

If I'm playing music via any source (Exaile, Totem, Flash in Firefox or
Chromium, VLC, etc.) every few minutes the audio will skip once or twice.
top doesn't show any process eating CPU any more when it happens.  dmesg
doesn't show anything.  Nothing else seems to be affected.  It doesn't seem
to happen regularly.

I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 from scratch (with pulseaudio
1:1.1-0ubuntu15), but the same thing happened in 10.04 on the same
hardware.  Uninstalling the PulseAudio packages and going back to ALSA
gives me no issues whatsoever, which is how I know the issue is with
PulseAudio.  I'm using my onboard audio device:

$ lspci | grep Audio
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia
(Intel HDA)

Any clues what's going on?  Is there any PulseAudio log I can look at?  Is
there any way to debug the issue at all?  Should I just file a bug?  I'd
like to use PulseAudio since it's so integrated into Ubuntu these days, but
it's annoying enough that if the issue continues I can't.  Thanks!

Charles