[pulseaudio-discuss] Streaming between two WinXP machines

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sun May 13 09:17:06 PDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 19:21 -0400, Dave Horoschak wrote:
> It looks like my PulseAudio installation is working despite the couple of
> errors I'm getting.  I couldn't find any specific information about
> streaming TCP between two Windows machines, so I pieced the following
> information together from some other FAQ's...
>

> On the server machine (mic input) I have the following default.pa:
>

> load-module module-native-protocol-tcp listen=0.0.0.0 auth-anonymous=1
>
> load-module module-waveout
>

> client.conf is blank.
>

> On the client machine (audio out) I have the following default.pa:
>

> load-module module-waveout
>

> and client.conf:
>

> default-server = X.X.X.X (the IP of the server machine)
>

> I run pulseaudio on both (with no parameters) and they execute (with the
> errors mentioned above), but they don't seem connected.  Am I doing
> something wrong or do I need more configuration somewhere?

It sounds like you want to stream the microphone audio from one machine
to the speakers of another machine. Does module-waveout also provide a
source? "waveout" sounds like it's only for output, but I don't know for
sure.

Assuming that module-waveout actually provides a source, you should load
module-tunnel-source on the speaker machine and point it to the
microphone machine. Now you have a proxy source on the speaker machine,
and the remaining task is to get the audio from the proxy source to the
local sink. That can be done by loading module-loopback on the speaker
machine.