[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio with mutiple users and MPD

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed May 23 19:11:42 PDT 2012

I'm trying to understand how PulseAudio is supposed to work in my
situation but I think I need some help:
Basically my workstation is shared between 3 users who are always logged
in (tho on different virtual consoles).  Additionally, they all share
a single (system-wide) MPD daemon to play the music.

IIUC running a system-wide pulseaudio is the wrong thing to do.
So I should run a PA daemon for each user.  Somehow those PA daemons
should figure out when we Ctl-Alt-Fn to switch from one virtual console
to another and (re|dis)connect from the actual output sound driver.

OK, I'm not sure this always works reliably, but assuming it does, how
should the MPD daemon enter the picture?  Clearly we don't want the
music to be interrupted merely by someone switching virtual console.

        Stefan