[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio, Rygel, Headless server, and streaming to Onkyo TX-NR509?

John Clemens john at deater.net
Wed May 23 19:33:28 PDT 2012

I'm trying to do something I thought would be pretty simple, but is
turning out to be nearly impossible, and I'm not sure if the problem is
pulseaudio, rygel, my receiver, or pilot error.  Probably all of the above.

I have a fileserver (headless, Ubuntu 12.04 server) that contains the
family's music collection.  It sits in my office.  I have a wife, who
would like to play that music on our nice, networked, DLNA-capable
receiver, rather than her tiny netbook speakers.  The receiver and file
server are on the same wired network, but through a MoCA bridge, if that
matters.  upnp-inspector sees my TX-NR509 as a mediarenderer.  I've use
Twonky on my android phone in the past to control the receiver, so I
know its possible.

I -think- what I want to do is configure pulseaudio and rygel together
to create a virtual sink device which will stream the audio output to
the receiver.. then coax my music server software (subsonic) to play to
the 'local' device.

To keep this message short, I'm not going to detail all the things I've
tried via googling, and just ask... What do I need to do to get the
above to work?

Thanks,
john.c
--