[pulseaudio-discuss] master volume at zero and muted when pulseaudio starts

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Nov 3 04:23:56 PDT 2012

'Twas brillig, and Frank Wilson at 04/06/12 23:37 did gyre and gimble:
> On 4 June 2012 22:35, Frank Wilson <fajwilson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Only when I had done "alsactl init 0", could I hear the mp3 given to gstreamer.
>>

> And in this case it works for both alsasink and pulsesink.

A very late reply I know but for the record, chances are PA was
activating a profile that required Master to be zeroed.

Typically this would be a profile that you can tweak in various GUIs and
will then be saved across reboots. You have perhaps enabled e.g. digital
output rather than analog or something similar.

"pacmd ls" output is good for debugging here.

Also "pacmd dump-volumes" is sometimes useful.

  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/