[pulseaudio-discuss] strange pulse / jack behaviour

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Sat Nov 3 05:00:42 PDT 2012

2012-10-30 12:45, Richard Bown skrev:
> On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 22:05 +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> On Tue, October 30, 2012 8:17 pm, Richard Bown wrote:
>> Thanks Richard. In this case there is only one device.
>>
>> My concern here is that I was expecting pulse and jack to automatically
>> reconfigure if using the dbus option. Isn't that the point of the
>> module-jackdbus-detect?
>>
>> It seems to be asking alot of the user (especially those not initiated in
>> the audio system) to expect them to find and then disable the offending
>> module to get things running.
>>
> You are asking a lot to get the developers of dbus, pulseaudio,
> portaudio, jack, alsa  all to iron out a few wrinkles.
>
> Also you need to be running the latest version of all the apps to make
> sure that they have not already been sorted, so add the OS version
> maintainers to the list to keep their packages up to date.
> Running Debian will not keep you up to date with package changes.
> Studio64 , one of the debian based DAW  distros is very outdated.
I wrote module-jackdbus-detect a while ago, and never really got it
elegantly working to the degree that I wanted. It does simplify things,
but last time I tested we still had a few issues [1].

Sorry about not having had the time to sort out all the wrinkles.

[1]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-studio-devel/2011-September/003471.html

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.