[pulseaudio-discuss] Dealing with Buffer Overruns, while using pulse "default" or "pulse" sound card.

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Nov 3 09:41:01 PDT 2012

'Twas brillig, and Amar Akshat at 11/09/12 08:52 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,
>
> Proceeding further from the idea I obtained in this user group, to use
> pulse audio to manage sound, by setting PULSE_SOURCE and PULSE_SINK
> with source and sink of the sound card I want to use, I ve come to
> point where SIP stack produces buffer overrun/underrun errors while
> opening the sound card "default" or "pulse".
>
> The solution to it, is end all activity on that sound card, close it
> and open it again. Any heads on how to deal with this problem ??

>From my understanding the alsa plugin will report an underrun when the
sink-input buffer underruns which might be well before a "real" underrun
on the sink itself (i.e. when the user may hear a glitch).

Anyway David said during our conf yesterday that he wanted to add better
handling to the alsa plugin at some point. No guarantee on the
timescales tho'.

Cheers

  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/