[pulseaudio-discuss] Issues with pulseaudio and gdm

Neil Bird gnome at fnxweb.com
Mon Nov 5 01:55:18 PST 2012

Around about 03/11/12 11:44, Colin Guthrie scribbled ...
> Sorry for the crazy late reply.

   No probs.

> 'Twas brillig, and Neil Bird at 09/06/12 00:39 did gyre and gimble:
>>   What's *supposed* to start pulseaudio?  I replaced pulseaudio in my
>> test VM with a script that would do a ps and then run the real
>> pulseaudio, and that indicates that it's gnome-settings-daemon that's
>> spawning the pa exe, but I can't find anything explicit in the gsd source.
>
> Pulseaudio autospawns itself when it's needed so it's in the libpulse
> code. By trying to connect to a PA daemon that is not running, g-s-d's
> use of the libpulse code will trigger the autospawn.

   When I tried the same trick on my main box, pa simply never got
launched, as I recall, there was just no attempt to start it.

> Certainly I don't have issues with that here with newer gsd+PA, so it's
> perhaps a problem that has just "gone away" now :s

   At the moment, I'm running a 5-minute cron job that checks to see if
there's a gdm-owned pa process, and if not it starts a shell with the
same env. vars. as gdm and launches pa.  That, at least, is stopping
/var/log/messages from being swamped.

   It also creates a pa that lasts until the next person creates a fresh
login (seems as if the gdm login session *becomes* that person, so the
next user-switch launches a new gdm, which in turn doesn't start its own
pa).

#!/bin/bash

# Not if already running
pgrep -u gdm pulseaudio >/dev/null  &&  exit 0

# Get gdm env
pid=$(pgrep -u gdm gnome-shell)
[ "$pid" == "" ]  &&  exit 0
[ -f "/proc/$pid/environ" ]  ||  exit 1
echo '#!/bin/bash' > /tmp/gdm-pa
sed -e 's/\x00/\x0aexport /g' -e 's/^/export /g' /proc/$pid/environ >>
/tmp/gdm-pa
echo "JOBBY=restart" >> /tmp/gdm-pa
echo "/usr/bin/pulseaudio --start" >> /tmp/gdm-pa

# Do it
chmod +x /tmp/gdm-pa
su - -s /bin/bash gdm -c /tmp/gdm-pa
/bin/rm -f /tmp/gdm-pa

   When I get a chance, possibly over Xmas, I'm going to chance a fresh
install of F18 on a second root partition I've prepared (possibly
64-bit), and I'm expecting that to sort out any oddities.  My PC has
largely only been upgraded (from RedHat 6.1, 2000!) and not installed
again since then (and by copying partitions when HDs are changed), so
I've definitely accrued a bit of cruft along the way, so it's probably
time to swallow my pride.

   The fact that all fresh installs I've tried don't have a problem does
mean that it's something that's lying around, and at this stage I'm just
unlikely to find it.  I just don't like sweeping issues under the carpet!

--
[phoenix at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[phoenix at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature