[pulseaudio-discuss] How to modify (source) port priorities?

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Wed Nov 7 15:42:03 PST 2012

On 11/08/2012 12:34 AM, Ronan Jouchet wrote:
> On 11/07/2012 01:49 AM, David Henningsson wrote:
>> On 11/07/2012 04:51 AM, Ronan Jouchet wrote:
>>> In the "Input" tab of my "Sound" GNOME system panel, the "Connector"
>>> keeps being changed from "Microphone" to "Internal Microphone" at each
>>> restart (I'd like the contrary: "Internal Microphone" is awfully noisy,
>>> and "Microphone" works fine). I can see why in pacmd-list-sources:
>>>      {analog-input-microphone-internal: *Internal Microphone* (*priority
>>> 8900*, available: unknown)}
>>>      ... versus ...
>>>      {analog-input-microphone: *Microphone* (*priority 8700*, available:
>>> no)}
>>>
>>> --> How can I modify the priorities so that "Microphone" gets
>>> automatically a higher priority than "Input Microphone"?
>>
>> Modify the files in
>> /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-*.conf
>
> Grrreat. I found the "priority" values in {analog-input-mic.conf,
> analog-input-internal-mic-always.conf, analog-input-internal-mic.conf},
> and switched the "87" and "89" values. Now pacmd-list-sources shows
> priorities that suit me:
>      analog-input-microphone-internal: *Internal Microphone* (priority
> *8700* , available: *unknown* )
>      analog-input-microphone: *Microphone* (priority *8900* , available:
> *no* )
>
> However, even though the priorities look fine, the behavior at startup
> is still the same: "Internal Microphone" is still preferred to
> "Microphone".
>      --> Could it be due to the fact that "Microphone" is flagged
> "available: no"?

This means that you have not plugged your microphone in. If it's still
available: no when your mic is plugged in, it is very likely an ALSA
bug. module-switch-on-port-available is the module that switches away
from unavailable ports.

>      --> If yes, how can I work around this? If no, any other idea? Any
> solution putting "Microphone" first will do, I don't care the least
> about "Internal Microphone".

In the same files you just edited, you can also comment out the "Jack"
sections to stop PulseAudio from picking up any detection.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic