[pulseaudio-discuss] New release - mpd has stopped working with same user

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 15:49:46 PST 2012

Reference -
https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2012-November/032147.html

Basically, with pulseaudio 2.99.2 mpd can't seem to connect to pulseaudio.
Easy workaround is to play through tcp on 127.0.0.1, but the Arch devs
pointed me to this link -
http://arunraghavan.net/2012/11/pulseconf-2012-report/ - specifically I
noted the 'per-user and system modes' part.

I was under the impression this is not yet done, just that its been
discussed. Or has something changed since nov 6 when this was posted?

Previously mpd run as my own user (ngoonee) would connect to pulseaudio
running as my own user (ngoonee) just fine. According to the Arch devs,
pulseaudio has now moved to use xdg config file locations and somehow this
causes some confusion with mpd.

Reading over my email, I realize I don't have a focused question, so here
it is - how should mpd users use pulseaudio ideally, and does mpd need
updating or is this something to be dealt with with pulse?

P.S. - using systemd's logind, if that makes a difference.