[pulseaudio-discuss] New release - mpd has stopped working with same user

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 16:06:17 PST 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 8:01 AM, <poljarinho at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 07:49:46AM +0800, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:
> >    Reference -
> >    [1]https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2012-November/0
> >    32147.html
> >    Basically, with pulseaudio 2.99.2 mpd can't seem to connect to
> >    pulseaudio. Easy workaround is to play through tcp on 127.0.0.1, but
> >    the Arch devs pointed me to this link -
> >    [2]http://arunraghavan.net/2012/11/pulseconf-2012-report/ -
> >    specifically I noted the 'per-user and system modes' part.
> >    I was under the impression this is not yet done, just that its been
> >    discussed. Or has something changed since nov 6 when this was posted?
> >    Previously mpd run as my own user (ngoonee) would connect to pulseaudio
> >    running as my own user (ngoonee) just fine. According to the Arch devs,
> >    pulseaudio has now moved to use xdg config file locations and somehow
> >    this causes some confusion with mpd.
> >    Reading over my email, I realize I don't have a focused question, so
> >    here it is - how should mpd users use pulseaudio ideally, and does mpd
> >    need updating or is this something to be dealt with with pulse?
> >    P.S. - using systemd's logind, if that makes a difference.
> >
> > References
> >
> >    1. https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2012-November/032147.html
> >    2. http://arunraghavan.net/2012/11/pulseconf-2012-report/
>

> Hi.
>
> Please don't send html mail to the list.
> As far as I'm aware Pulseaudio still works as expected with mpd (run as user).
> Have you perhaps uncommented the server line in your mpd.conf?
>
> This below should be sufficient to configure mpd with pulse:
>
>     audio_output {
>         type    "pulse"
>         name    "monolith default"
>     }

Hi, sorry about that, new gmail interface.

That's exactly what I had in mpd.conf
user "ngoonee"
audio_output {
    type "pulse"
    name "MPD Pulse Output"
}

However mpd.log gives this:-

Nov 19 14:45 : output: Failed to enable "MPD Pulse Output" [pulse]:
pa_context_connect() has failed: Connection refused
Nov 19 14:45 : player_thread: problems opening audio device while
playing "PointBreak-StandTough.mp3"