[pulseaudio-discuss] New release - mpd has stopped working with same user

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 20:48:11 PST 2012

Hi Arun, thanks for the reply.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Arun Raghavan
<arun.raghavan at collabora.co.uk> wrote:

> None of this has been implemented (a final approach hasn't even been
> agreed upon).

Only quoting this part, as my understanding of the rest of your email
is that there doesn't seem to be a fail-safe way to be able to use mpd
continuously through logging in/out (not that I do that much). Rather
than messing around with env variables which I'm sure to forget about
in the future, I guess I'll just continue to use the tcp transport.

I'll await the results of discussion/agreement among the devs then. As
a fairly niche user sometimes, I'd just say that it would be good to
be able to allow various users access to the sound device (the 'mpd'
user is one example). Actually, not knowing much about the code, can't
tcp transports to 127.0.0.1 achieve this right now? Besides the (I'm
assuming) lack of SHM-related efficiency.