[pulseaudio-discuss] gnome-shell hangs, waiting for pulse-audio

Henrik /KaarPoSoft henrik at kaarposoft.dk
Wed Nov 21 01:09:21 PST 2012

On 11/20/12 11:29, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-11-03 at 23:55 +0100, Henrik /KaarPoSoft wrote:
>> On 11/03/12 23:36, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> 'Twas brillig, and Henrik /KaarPoSoft at 03/11/12 23:07 did gyre and gimble:

> I can't reproduce this (gnome-shell 3.4.2, pulseaudio 2.99.2).
> gnome-terminal windows get closed immediately, even if the sound from
> the backspace press hasn't finished yet.
>
> I have noticed that if I run pulseaudio in gdb and the execution pauses,
> gnome-shell freezes for a while if it tries to make any sound, but this
> probably isn't relevant for your case (other than in the sense that if
> my problem would get solved, probably yours would too).
>
>>> As a quick question, how is the x11-bell handled? Are you enabling the
>>> module inside PA that does this itself, or is canberra actually
>>> generating the bell? If the former, this is likely not the right
>>> approach. It's commented out by default in PA and I guess if it does
>>> turn out to be the culprit, we should likely look to remove it. However
>>> if it is canberra triggered then I guess it becomes a bit more complex.
>> I have no clue about x11-bell handling.
>> I am trying to install packages as close to upstream as possible.
>> How can I peek my system to find out how x11-bell is handled???
> "pactl list modules short" will list all loaded modules, and if
> module-x11-bell is not listed, then you're fine.

Thank you for the input Tanu,

pactl list modules short | grep -i x11
23    module-x11-publish    display=:0
24    module-x11-cork-request    display=:0
25    module-x11-xsmp    display=:0 session_manager=<redacted>

So I looks like module-x11-bell is not loaded.

Anyway, I am not sure the problem is related to (only) x11-bell.
The problem can also be reproduced this way:
Open firefox (as the only application on desktop), navigate to
youtube.com, play (html5) video, press [x] to close firefox.
Now the desktop hangs.

I do not know if it is important, but the "ps" command shows that the
application (gnome-terminal or firefox) is not running anymore (i.e.
exited or was killed). But the application window is still visible
(although frozen) on the desktop (presumably because gnome is hung and
does not repaint).

And since we now have a lot of detail removed from the email trail, let
me repeat: the problem only manifests itself when the last window on the
desktop is closed.

/Henrik