[pulseaudio-discuss] Bluetooth ports

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Thu Nov 22 07:55:12 PST 2012

First, sorry for not being into all the bluetooth details and relying on
you to sort it all out correctly...

...now, I'm testing PulseAudio 2.99.2 and things do not show up as I
expect them to. In PulseAudio 2.x, there were no bluetooth ports at all,
in 2.99, "pactl list-cards" looks like this [1]. I don't know if it's a
bug, or if it is for a reason, but at least it's an unhappy surprise for me.

In short; if it's the same physical output on the device, it's *the same
port*. Just like my USB headset has one port in each direction, so
should my bluetooth headset. I e, there should not be one "hsp-output"
and one "a2dp-output" ports, because they go to the same headset, they
should share the same port, preferrably called "Headset" or something
similar.

To point out the practical problem for end users is that in GNOME sound
settings, it now looks like you're having two different headsets. :-(

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic

[1] http://pastebin.se/qJBnCWi5