[pulseaudio-discuss] gnome-shell hangs, waiting for pulse-audio

Henrik /KaarPoSoft henrik at kaarposoft.dk
Thu Nov 22 15:00:30 PST 2012

On 11/22/12 13:39, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> Henrik, is it possible for you to try 2.99.2 too? For what it's worth,
> last time when I said "I can't reproduce this" I did have other
> windows open, but I retested with the gnome-terminal window being the
> only window, and I still couldn't reproduce the bug.

Well, I am getting more and more confused.

First of all to recap:
With 2.1 I can reproduce the hang every time I close the last window on
the desktop, if this desktop is or where just producing sound.
Eg: open gnome-terminal, press backspace, close terminal;
or: open firefox, play html5 video on youtube, close firefox.

Also, a few times during normal "office work", the desktop hangs if a
terminal produces a beep, even if it is not the last/only window on the
desktop.

Further, I have seen the hang when starting thunderbird as the first
application after logging in.
It shows the loading icon in the top bar of gnome-shell, but thunderbird
never shows up on the desktop, which is unresponsive.
Presumably this would be because thunderbird is playing a sound upon
receiving new mail.
I have not investigated or tried to reproduce for fear of loosing my mail...

I have now build and installed 2.99.2.

Note however, that it is just installed "on top" of 2.1; I did not try
to remove any 2.1 stuff first.
Also, I did not recompile any other packages dependent on PulseAudio.

The new version seems to be installed and symlinked correctly:
ls -l /lib/libpulse.so*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     18 Nov 22 23:03 /lib/libpulse.so ->
libpulse.so.0.15.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     18 Nov 22 23:03 /lib/libpulse.so.0 ->
libpulse.so.0.15.1
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 981874 Oct 13 13:09 /lib/libpulse.so.0.14.3
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 981534 Nov 22 23:03 /lib/libpulse.so.0.15.1

I am not sure if every app/lib dependent on PulseAudio is picking up the
new version correctly;
for reasons I do not understand gnome-shell seems to link to both the
old and new version:

ldd /bin/gnome-shell | grep pulse
     libpulse-mainloop-glib.so.0 => //lib/libpulse-mainloop-glib.so.0
(0xb5771000)
     libpulse.so.0 => //lib/libpulse.so.0 (0xb5723000)
     libpulsecommon-2.1.so => //lib/pulseaudio/libpulsecommon-2.1.so
(0xb56b7000)
     libpulsecommon-2.99.so => //lib/pulseaudio/libpulsecommon-2.99.so
(0xb4da6000)

In any case, for whatever it is worth, here is what I am now seing with
2.99.2:

I can *not* reproduce the hang with:
open gnome-terminal (as only app on desktop), press backspace, close
terminal.

I *can* reproduce the hang with:
open firefox (as only app on desktop), play html5 video on youtube,
close firefox.

I *can* reliably produce the hang with:
open firefox (as first app on desktop), play html5 video on youtube.
open gnome-terminal (as second app on desktop), press backspace (ie.
*not* even closing terminal).
Now sound from youtube keeps playing, but the desktop is unresponsive.

/Henrik