[pulseaudio-discuss] Property list requirements

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Fri Nov 23 11:03:34 PST 2012

On Fri, 2012-11-23 at 10:50 -0800, Mike Gran wrote:
> Hello-
>
> What properties in the property list are necessary?
>
> For example, if I make a simple program that creates an audio
> source with a single mono channel, I end up having to make
> property lists for these two functions
>
> - pa_context_new_with_proplist
> - pa_stream_new_with_proplist
>
> If the intention is just to send this audio source off to PA
> to be played, what properties are required? Recommended?

Nothing is required. Setting at least the media.role property for the
stream is recommended. See [1] for a full list of "well-known"
properties. Some of those properties Pulseaudio is able to figure out by
itself (such as application.process.id), but feel free to fill in as
many properties as you like. Most of them don't make any big difference,
though. media.role is important, because it affects (or can affect)
routing and volume.

[1] http://freedesktop.org/software/pulseaudio/doxygen/proplist_8h.html

> Should these two proplists be the same?  Different?

Different. Many of the properties only make sense for streams, and the
context (i.e. application) properties are copied to the stream
properties automatically anyway.