[pulseaudio-discuss] gnome-shell hangs, waiting for pulse-audio

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sun Nov 25 12:25:11 PST 2012

On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 18:35 +0100, Henrik /KaarPoSoft wrote:
> I made the above changes, and now get the "Received opcode..."  from the
> daemon in the log. Thanks.
>
> But I cannot figure out how to get log output from gnome-shell either.
>
> If I put this in my /etc/profile:
> export PULSE_LOG=4
> export PULSE_LOG_LEVEL=4
> export PULSE_LOG_SYSLOG=1
> clients in general show the expected traces in syslog.
> So I can run firefox or pacat, and see the "Received opcode..." from
> both client and daemon in syslog, and match them as you suggested.
> However, with this /etc/profile, gnome-shell starts allright, but plays
> no sound whatsoever, and logs nothing to syslog.
> No clue why.

So gnome-shell doesn't want to log to syslog? I've attached a pulseaudio
patch that makes gnome-shell log to files under /tmp. Btw, I now noticed
that running "gnome-shell --replace" restarts gnome-shell and makes the
log from the new instance go to the current terminal.

> Anyway, here is a log from 2.99.2:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/kaarpux/tickets/_discuss/thread/a1e6c549/cfd3/attachment/log_2_99_2.txt

It looks like there are always two PLAY_SAMPLE requests. The first one
is "bell-window-system", and the second is something that fails to play,
it probably doesn't exist in pulseaudio's sample cache (there are no
details logged for the failing sample - you may want to add some logging
to command_play_sample() in src/pulsecore/protocol-native.c). The hang
seems to happen when trying to play the second sample.