[pulseaudio-discuss] usb headset microphone will not work with pulseaudio

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed Oct 24 03:11:45 PDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-10-20 at 09:44 +0000, John Frankish wrote:
> I've been trying to get a Logitech usb headset to work on two different machines both running the same software:
>
> pulseaudio-2.0, kernel-3.0.21, alsa-1.0.25
>
> Bus 002 Device 006: ID 046d:0a0b Logitech, Inc. ClearChat Pro USB
>
> mac mini:
> Things appear as normal, I can use pavucontrol to direct output to the
> headset speakers, but there appears to be no way to record sound from
> the headset microphone using gnome-sound-recorder or skype-4.0.0.8,
> the headset microphone appears in the "record" tab of pavucontrol,

Do you mean the "Input Devices" tab?

> but nothing is recorded.

Is even silence recorded? On the "Recording" tab of pavucontrol, do you
see the gnome-sound-recorder or skype stream, and does the UI say that
it's connected to the usb headset microphone?

> No pulseaudio error messages appear and the usb microphone will not
> work even when the internal sound card is completely disabled.
>
> dell latitude e6220:
> When the usb headset is plugged in, it appears for a few seconds in
> pavucontrol then disappears for a few seconds and then reappears
> again. This continues for as long as the headset is plugged in - see
> attached log. Note that it is not possible to disable the internal
> sound from pavucontrol, it is re-enabled as soon as the usb headset
> appears again.

The log shows that udev reports the device getting repeatedly removed
and added, so that problem is at a lower level than pulseaudio.

It's certainly possible to disable the internal sound card in
pavucontrol. Go to the Configuration tab and select the "Off" profile
for the internal card.