[pulseaudio-discuss] strange pulse / jack behaviour

Richard Bown richard at g8jvm.com
Mon Oct 29 09:42:14 PDT 2012

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 01:12:00 +1100
Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:

> On Mon, October 29, 2012 9:39 pm, Richard Bown wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 20:59:05 +1100
> > Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any thoughts on why the following is happening?
> >>
> >> Using Debian wheezy on an intel board with built in HDA chipset.
> >> (Notebook
> >> sound card)
> >>
> >> I was unable to start jack. It seemed like the problem might have been
> >> because pulse was running so I killed pulse with "pulseaudio -k". That
> >> didn't help. I installed pulseaudio-module-jack and configured
> >> /etc/pulse/default.pa to include
> >>
> >> load-module module-jack-sink
> >> load-module module-jack-source
> >>
> >> restarted pulseaudio with pulseaudio -k ; pulseaudio and it attempted to
> >> start jack server but was not able to. At that point I was unable to get
> >> pulseaudio to start at all or jack so I decided to reboot in case it was
> >> kernel oops.
> >>
> >> After rebooting pulseaudio still would not start. I tried a couple of
> >> options but in the end I had to run "pulseaudio --system -D" as
> >> superuser.
> >> After doing that jackd would run from qjackctl but there are not
> >> pulse-sink/source connections in jack probably because pulse is running
> >> as
> >> superuser but I'm not 100% on the exact reason for this behaviour. I can
> >> see that pulseaudio is running with "ps aux".
> >>
> >> If recent feedback on LAU list anything to go by it seems that I'm not
> >> the
> >> only one who has encountered issues similar to this recently.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Patrick Shirkey
> >

> > Patrick are you using jack to connect the onboard HDA to an app using jack
> > and
> > then to the jack-source module ?
>
> The jack-source/sink connections don't even appear in qjackctl.
>
> > If so you need to unload the pulse alsa module for the Intel device, so
> > that
> > the system inputs and outputs appear when using the jack connection in
> > qjackctl.
>
> I will look at that tomorrow. I thought from previous experience that
> pulse was able to automatically reconfigure itself if the jack modules
> were installed. Either way I never had to run pulseaudio as root before to
> get the jack sink/source connections to load in jack. Seems like something
> has been borked in Debian Wheezy.
>

> > I managed to get to the stage of everything looking good with jack
> > connections,
> > but didn't get incoming audio to the jack-source module. I suspect that
> > problem
> > may have been with the app I was using.
> >
> > meterbridge is very useful for checking connections with jack connect
> >

> jack_lsp works pretty well too ;-)
>

> --
> Patrick Shirkey
> Boost Hardware Ltd

If it would help ,I have a shell script that gets the ALSA card number for a
M-Audio D66 card , then finds the PA module and unloads it , then starts jackd
with the parameters for the D66 card , and loads PA jack source and sink, and
starts qiackctl, and then makes a few connections with jack-connect.
Once that is all done starts an application I use.
If it would help I'll send you a copy direct, and you can hack it to bits for
your application.
Its written for Fedora FC17, but should run on wheesy.
I used wheesy for a while , but got fed up with good apps they dropped in the
electronics menu.

Best wishes / 73
Richard Bown

e-mail: richard at g8jvm.com

 Mail now hosted by SimplyMailSolutions
Please avoid using old e-mail address of richard.bown at blueyonder.co.uk

nil carborundum a illegitemis
Ham Call G8JVM . OS Fedora FC17 x86_64 on a Dell Insiron N5030 laptop
Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W ( degs+mins )
QRV VHF 6mtrs 200W, 4 mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 350W, 70cms 200W
Microwave 23 cms 140W, 13 cms 100W, 6 cms 0W & 3cms 5W