[pulseaudio-discuss] strange pulse / jack behaviour

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Oct 30 05:46:48 PDT 2012

On Tue, October 30, 2012 10:45 pm, Richard Bown wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 22:05 +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> On Tue, October 30, 2012 8:17 pm, Richard Bown wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Richard. In this case there is only one device.
>>
>> My concern here is that I was expecting pulse and jack to automatically
>> reconfigure if using the dbus option. Isn't that the point of the
>> module-jackdbus-detect?
>>
>> It seems to be asking alot of the user (especially those not initiated
>> in
>> the audio system) to expect them to find and then disable the offending
>> module to get things running.
>>

> You are asking a lot to get the developers of dbus, pulseaudio,
> portaudio, jack, alsa  all to iron out a few wrinkles.
>
> Also you need to be running the latest version of all the apps to make
> sure that they have not already been sorted, so add the OS version
> maintainers to the list to keep their packages up to date.
> Running Debian will not keep you up to date with package changes.
> Studio64 , one of the debian based DAW  distros is very outdated.

Debian Wheezy is keeping pace with latest Fedora. It is the Testing
version of Debian.

I haven't tried testing this with Fedora 17 yet but my impression is that
I'm not the only one who is having a difficult time getting
jackdbus-detect to work as advertised. The last time I seriously checked
was a few years back and at the time module-jackdbus-detect was fairly new
so the auto configuration was still being worked on. It seems reasonable
that by now the kinks would have been ironed out.

It's definitely not acceptable to me that a lot of people are still
advising to completely remove pulseaudio rather than actually get to the
bottom of the problem with module-jackdbus-connect.

Given that this issue is one of the first problems that new users to Linux
Audio will encounter if they try to use JACK I think it is poor form to
ignore the real issue by continuing to advise work around solutions.

We can fix this so we should.

A definitive and integrated solution to the problem will be good for
everyone.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd