[pulseaudio-discuss] strange pulse / jack behaviour

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Oct 31 11:45:56 PDT 2012

On Thu, November 1, 2012 4:29 am, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-11-01 at 03:58 +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> with
>> error :

>> "RequestRelease"
>> doesn't
>
> For some reason pulseaudio isn't handling the dbus messages. You could
> attach "pulseaudio -vvv" output, maybe the log contains something
> related error messages.
>
>> module-jackdbus-detect is supposed to release the lock on the device
>> when
>> jackdbus (jackd2) starts and then auto reconfigure and connect to
>> jackdbus/jackd2 loading the jack-sink/source modules once
>> jackdbus/jackd2
>> has successfully started.
>
> FYI, actually module-jackdbus-detect isn't involved with the device
> releasing. That part is implemented directly in the alsa modules. For
> some reason pulseaudio isn't handling the dbus messages, you could
> attach "pulseaudio -vvv" output, maybe the log contains something
> related error messages.

Hmm,

- Disabling autospawn and running pulseaudio -vvv  allows jackd to start.

pulse
++++
I: [pulseaudio] client.c: Created 12 "Native client (UNIX socket client)"
D: [pulseaudio] protocol-dbus.c: Interface org.PulseAudio.Core1.Client
added for object /org/pulseaudio/core1/client12
I: [pulseaudio] client.c: Freed 12 "Native client (UNIX socket client)"
I: [pulseaudio] protocol-native.c: Connection died.
D: [pulseaudio] protocol-dbus.c: Interface org.PulseAudio.Core1.Client
removed from object /org/pulseaudio/core1/client12
D: [pulseaudio] reserve-wrap.c: Device lock status of
reserve-monitor-wrapper at Audio0 changed: busy
++++

jack
++++
Acquire audio card Audio0
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
++++

- However I get this from jack_lsp:

++++
jack_lsp
Cannot read socket fd = 5 err = Success
CheckRes error
JackSocketClientChannel read fail
Cannot open lsp client
jack_client_open() failed, status = 0x21
++++

- I see this in the jack messages when I try to use jack_lsp or another
jack app:

++++
JackPosixProcessSync::LockedTimedWait error usec = 5000000 err =
Connection timed out
Driver is not running
Cannot create new client
CheckSize error size = -1 Size() = 4