[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio on OSX

Jared Sohn jared.sohn at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 13:02:05 PDT 2012

I want to use PulseAudio to separately control the volume of processes
on OSX.  Is this possible, and if so what is the best way for doing
this?

I have found some instructions at
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Ports/OSX and also
have found an OSX-specific port at
https://github.com/zonque/PulseAudioOSX along with an accompanying PDF
and presentation describing the work.  My impression is that if I
follow the instructions at the first link, it will allow me to play
sounds created on other computers, but because I don't think it
includes a HAL plug-in and other OSX-specific code, I don't think it
will let me control the volumes for OSX processes.

Is this an accurate state of affairs?  If so, is development
continuing for OSX integration? (the github project hasn't been
updated in 11 months), how does integrating in the OSX-specific port
fit into the roadmap?, and is there further information about how well
the existing PulseAudioOSX works?

Thanks,

Jared