[pulseaudio-discuss] [RFC 00/24] Add support for Bluetooth HFP Handsfree Unit implemented in oFono

João Paulo Rechi Vita jprvita at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 07:12:02 PDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 4:21 AM, Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 02:16 -0300, jprvita at gmail.com wrote:
>> From: João Paulo Rechi Vita <jprvita at openbossa.org>
>>
>> The Bluetooth Handsfree Profile (HFP), role Hansfree (HF), is used when we want
>> to work as a Hands-free unit to control audio calls performed by an Audio
>> Gateway (AG), generally a cellular phone.
>>
>> After the release of BlueZ 5, which added support for external profiles, the
>> HFP implementation has been moved out of BlueZ and implemented in oFono. A new
>> D-Bus API has been defined to enable the IPC between oFono's Handsfree Audio
>> Manager, which takes care of the Bluetooth HFP modems, and a Handsfree Audio
>> Agent, which in our particular case is PulseAudio.
>>
>> This series implements support for the HFP HF role in the card representing the
>> Bluetooth device through a new card profile, "Handsfree Audio Gateway", which
>> is the name of the role performed by the remote device.
>>
>> At the moment HFP up to 1.6 is supported, but without wideband speech. Wideband
>> speech support work is in progress. Also, this series works with kernels < 3.8,
>> since handling of defer setup of SCO sockets is also a WIP.
>
> What do you mean by "this series works with kernels < 3.8"? Do you mean
> that BlueZ 5 + kernel >= 3.8 isn't supported, but earlier kernels work
> fine?

Exactly. Support for defer setup in SCO sockets has been integrated
into kernel 3.8, and we don't support it yet (WIP). This series is
only a RFC, but if anyway wants to test it, it should use a kernel
release < 3.8.

>> This series is based on top of Mikel Astiz' work to add BlueZ 5 support to the
>> bluetooth modules.
>
> I haven't yet looked more closely what your patches contain, but do you
> mean that your patches require Mikel's patches to be applied first?
> Mikel said that his BlueZ 5 patch set (as submitted, I don't know what's
> happening in private git repositories) shouldn't be applied.

Yes, I know that. But an updated version of his work to support BlueZ
5 will have to be applied for these patches. I'm working on top of the
'bluez5-head' branch in his repository, rebased on upstream's 'next'
branch. I don't know if this is the same set on the mailing list or
not.

--
João Paulo Rechi Vita
http://about.me/jprvita