[pulseaudio-discuss] Digital output volume reset, if changing output. + Problems after Verbose log

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed Apr 3 00:58:39 PDT 2013

[Adding pulseaudio-discuss back to CC.]

On Tue, 2013-04-02 at 19:15 +0000, Espen Lund wrote:
> Hey Tanu, i've created two logs for you. One following your
> instructions, and a verbose log.

Unfortunately, the log (InstructionsLog) doesn't show anything unusual,
and it seems that we don't log anything related to the volume changes
during stream moves.

Fortunately, I now tried this myself, and I'm able to reproduce the bug.
I wonder why this bug hasn't been noticed earlier, since this is a
really basic thing... I'll debug this on my own machine.

> I wish to tell you i did a mistake earlier, regarding the problem with
> verbose log. Apparantly i forgot the autospawn = off, might've caused
> the issue with devices beeing gone.

autospawn = off means that if you kill pulseaudio, it won't
automatically restart. You said that you "restarted" pulseaudio, and the
devices weren't visible until you ran "pulseaudio -vvvv". "pulseaudio
-vvvv" counts as restarting, so I wonder what exactly you meant when you
said that you restarted pulseaudio?

> However, i still hope you will check the other log. Did those tests
> with from LiveCD ubuntu 12.10.

I don't know what I'm supposed to look for in that log.

> Anyway, to answer your questions: Restarting Pulseaudio, and
> pulseaudio isn't running.

[For clarity: "pulseaudio isn't running" is an answer for the question
"do you mean that when you turn your computer on, pulseaudio isn't
running unless you run it manually?" It would be nice if you quoted the
parts of the message to which you're replying, like I'm doing here.]

Pulseaudio should certainly start automatically on boot (or more
accurately, on login) even if autospawning is disabled.
Does /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop
and /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11 exist on your system? The graphical
login session is responsible for running start-pulseaudio-x11, as
instructed by the pulseaudio.desktop file.