[pulseaudio-discuss] Card and sink/source specific config

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Thu Apr 4 01:32:49 PDT 2013

With all these configuration discussions, there's one more aspect I'd
like to throw into the mix.

We have a lot of global parameters that should really be configured by
card, or by sink/source.

In daemon.conf, we have these:

; default-sample-format = s16le
; default-sample-rate = 44100
; alternate-sample-rate = 48000
; default-sample-channels = 2
; default-channel-map = front-left,front-right
; default-fragments = 4
; default-fragment-size-msec = 25

...all the above should be configurable per sink/source, rather than set
globally. Maybe you can override some of them by loading a sink or
source module manually, but then you lose the hotplug ability, so that's
not a good option.

And all the parameters to module-udev-detect:

tsched=<enable system timer based scheduling mode?>
tsched_buffer_size=<buffer size when using timer based scheduling>
fixed_latency_range=<disable latency range changes on underrun?>
ignore_dB=<ignore dB information from the device?>
deferred_volume=<syncronize sw and hw volume changes in IO-thread?>
use_ucm=<use ALSA UCM for card configuration?>

All these are really per card or per sink/source [1]. The only reason we
have these parameters in module-udev-detect, is because it's simpler to
configure things from default.pa that way. That's a bit stupid IMO.

When you're thinking about configuration interfaces and such, would it
be possible to design in a solution to this too? :-)

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic

[1] Possibly with the exception of deferred_volume, which IMO should be
removed and always be enabled for ALSA. There is no real reason to turn
it off, and the code would be less complex.