[pulseaudio-discuss] GSoC ideas

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at intel.com
Mon Apr 29 03:18:22 PDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-04-26 at 16:40 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
> On 04/26/2013 03:37 PM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:

> >> I'd like to see a rewrite of module-tunnel-sink to use the libpulse API
> >> instead of doing the protocol stuff directly.
> >
> > +1
>
> ...and in extension, perhaps a module-tunnel-detect that would load the
> same amount of module-tunnel-cards, module-tunnel-sinks and
> module-tunnel-sources as are present on the remote instance. But that is
> just a wild idea at the moment.

I agree that this would be good. We don't currently have
module-tunnel-card, but we should. module-zeroconf-detect is already
used for detecting remote stuff, so I don't know if we need any new
module-tunnel-detect module.

> >> I also think that wifi + TCP + low latency is a very hard thing to
> >> achieve reliably. The question is if it is possible at all, and if not,
> >> what the options are. Arun didn't seem very happy about improving RTP
> >> support in PulseAudio.
> >
> > At least one option should be to not insist on low latency (IIRC the
> > latency is now hardcoded to 150 ms). Streaming music over wifi has no
> > need for low latency.
>
> I tried to google a bit for how long latency Wifi really has, and at
> least this [1] link points to a second or two not being too unusual.
>
> And seconds of latency is an annoyance even over Wifi.

Sure, but I think it would still be in many cases better than occasional
drop-outs. To me TCP seems better than UDP for raw PCM data in pretty
much all cases, except when there is a hard requirement for an upper
limit in latency.

> >> Somebody last year tried something popup-like, but it's not easy trying
> >> to get that right with all Desktop Environments.
> >>
> >> I'm not seeing the use case for having PulseAudio handle passwords. Can
> >> somebody enlighten me?
> >
> > I'd imagine it's easier (or at least more intuitive) to run "pactl
> > set-password-for-remote-clients correcthorsebatterystaple" on a sound
> > server machine and then type the password to a prompt when connecting
> > the first time from each client machine, than to figure out and remember
> > that the cookie file needs to be copied to each client machine, after
> > the connection is failing with "Access denied".
>
> Right. Then it sounds like an encrypted connection would make more
> sense, e g an ssh tunnel that would already cover for both passwords,
> keys and what not. However, if that means an additional ssh library to
> depend on...

Can you clarify your position? It sounds like you're arguing for two
things:

 * We should not implement password support before encryption support,
because they may not be completely orthogonal. For example, if we choose
SSH tunnels as the encryption solution, we may get password
authentication for free (I have doubts about that, but I don't know the
capabilities of SSH well enough to argue).

 * We should never implement encryption, because that introduces a
dependency on a crypto library (implementing crypto ourselves is out of
question, I think we can agree that much).

Those two statements are in conflict: if we will never implement
encryption, it doesn't make sense to argue that password authentication
should wait for encryption support. I probably misunderstood you.

Intel Finland Oy
Registered Address: PL 281, 00181 Helsinki
Business Identity Code: 0357606 - 4
Domiciled in Helsinki