[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio module initialization failed...

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at intel.com
Mon Apr 29 06:23:05 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-04-29 at 12:52 +0000, aji.kumar at accenture.com wrote:
> Please also tell the configure lines I should use for building pulse
> from source, currently I am using these line, please correct me if I
> am wrong!!
>
> find . -name "Makefile.in" | xargs sed -i "s|(libdir)/@PACKAGE@|(libdir)/pulse|"

I don't know what this is supposed to achieve, but it looks wrong. You
are not supposed to edit Makefile.in.

> ./configure --prefix=/usr   --sysconfdir=/etc  --localstatedir=/var  --libexecdir=/usr/lib  --with-module-dir=/usr/lib/pulse/modules --enable-alsa

Using /usr as prefix is not recommended, because it conflicts with your
distribution's package management.

I personally usually don't run configure directly, but let bootstrap.sh
run it for me (I run bootstrap.sh without parameters; it would be
possible to give configuration parameters to bootstrap.sh too).
bootstrap.sh sets up some configure parameters, and according to
config.log, the resulting command line looks like this:

$ ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --enable-force-preopen CFLAGS="-g -O0" --no-create --no-recursion

I install to the default location (under /usr/local). Others have
different conventions, for example, installing under the home directory,
or not installing at all and running from the build tree.

Intel Finland Oy
Registered Address: PL 281, 00181 Helsinki
Business Identity Code: 0357606 - 4
Domiciled in Helsinki