[pulseaudio-discuss] Server-side corking

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at intel.com
Tue Apr 30 06:24:07 PDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-04-30 at 13:23 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
> On 04/30/2013 01:05 PM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Tizen has a patch[1] that makes it possible to cork streams from the
> > server side. So far only applications have been allowed to cork streams
> > (it has been possible to cork streams also from the server side, but
> > that would cause conflicts if both applications and the server want to
> > cork and uncork the same streams).
> >
> > I'm not familiar with the use case that has inspired the patch (Jaska or
> > Janos, it would be nice if you could explain the use case), but in
> > general server-side corking sounds sensible to me. The particular
> > implementation of the patch doesn't look so good to me, though: it just
> > adds one boolean to pa_sink_input for any server-side corking (the
> > feature doesn't seem to have been added to source outputs at all). There
> > may be multiple modules doing corking, so having just one boolean will
> > still be prone to conflicts.
> >
> > I propose that we add a hashmap/list/whatever for cork requests, so that
> > there can be any number of simultaneous requests for one stream, and the
> > stream will stay corked as long as there is at least one request. When a
> > client requests corking, a cork request object will be created and
> > associated with the client, and the cork request object will be removed
> > when the client request uncorking. Similarly, modules would be able to
> > create and manage their own cork request objects.
> >
> > Comments would be very welcome. If there is no opposition, this feature
> > will probably implemented sooner or later (I doubt that Tizen wants to
> > carry that patch forever).
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/otcshare/pulseaudio/commit/f60d68bb1fc8e3b746d467d0638f522c4795229a
> >

> I'm not sure a hashmap/list of cork requests is the best. I guess this
> could depend on *why* you want to cork the stream - I believe
> module-role-cork (which pauses music on phone calls), would pause the
> stream even on the client side, making it possible for the user to
> override by pressing "play" in his music player. This seems useful to me.

module-role-cork doesn't do any corking itself, it just kindly asks the
client to cork and uncork, so the client remains in full control as far
as module-role-cork is concerned. I don't propose that module-role-cork
behaviour would change at all.

If you are saying that uncorking by the application should always
*force* the stream to start to play, regardless of any server side
corking, I disagree. I think it makes sense that if there is at least
one active cork request, the stream should stay corked.

Intel Finland Oy
Registered Address: PL 281, 00181 Helsinki
Business Identity Code: 0357606 - 4
Domiciled in Helsinki