[pulseaudio-discuss] Sound not working

Daniel windseeker at gmx.de
Sun Dec 1 11:48:22 PST 2013

If it was my system, I would check the groups of my user to see if he's in
the "audio" group and such able to use the audio hardware at all.

Then I would check the output of "lspci -vvv" and search for audio
hardware, if it's there. Then I woud check "lsmod" if there is the "snd"
module and all other needed modules for your audio hardware.

Then I would start alsamixer to check if it can access the mixer of your
audio hardware.

If that is okay and still not works, I would disable pulseaudio autostart
by setting "autospawn = off" in client.conf, kill all pulseaudio processes,
start it manually with -vvv option and look at the output to see what it
tries and where it fails.

If that won't work, I would start pulseaudio through strace and search for
access to /dev/snd/* devices, to verify it really tried to access it and
what this system call will return as exit code.

If it was the PC of my neighbor who has no linux administration knowhow, I
would suggest to backup all personal files and reinstall, because it should
work from scratch. If it fails from scratch, too, then either the linux
distribution he uses is flawed, or the audio hardware might be broken and
dead.