[pulseaudio-discuss] acceptable noise level for mic boost

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Mon Dec 2 02:50:55 PST 2013

On Fri, 2013-11-29 at 21:56 +0100, Oleksij Rempel wrote:
> Am 29.11.2013 17:22, schrieb Tanu Kaskinen:

> >> Thank you for your response.
> >> I have more questions:
> >> Skype continuously trying to adjust record level.
> >
> > I've never used Skype, but I think I've heard that it allows you to
> > disable the automatic gain control. I'd expect that to help with your
> > problem.
>
> Well, it is workaround but not fix. To make conference call we need
> automatic gain control. Disabling it will work only for single person
> call. The question is how to fix it?
> I tested 7 different notebooks, and 4 of them had this issue. It is
> nearly impossible for alsa to know about all of them.

I don't have a solution. Perhaps it would be better if Skype did AGC in
software instead of modifying the hw amplifier levels? We have
module-echo-cancel in PulseAudio, which includes AGC too, and AFAIK it
does it in software. I know very little about that, though (I don't know
how good it is, and I don't have instructions for setting it up for
Skype).