[pulseaudio-discuss] Issue with multiple hdmi codecs in radeonhd, hacked to work

John Ettedgui john.ettedgui at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 00:38:20 PST 2013

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 12:22 AM, Raymond Yau <superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com>wrote:

>>> How many hdmi , dvi or display port connectors do your card have ?
>>>
>>> 1 hdmi, 1 vga, 2 tiny ports that I cannot name.
>>

>>> Specification seem support up to 6 displays
>>>
>> I believe these are virtual HDMI ouputs, not physical ones and total for
>> 6 in aplay -l and for 4 in aplay -L.
>>

> are you using latest alsa-lib ?
>

> http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-lib.git;a=commit;h=383912ef83cb2d5835239a23f6afc6198697a587
>
> Good point, I'm on a 3.13-rc2 kernel but totally forgot about the lib part.
I have the 1.0.27.2 lib, let me get the git version.

 HDA-Intel: present up to 8 HDMI/DP outputs via "hdmi" device

>  Is there any reason for you to disable on-board hda controller and
>>> alc888
>>>
>> Hmmm, I don't really remember why I did it back then, but probably
>> because using alsamixer and alsamixer -c0 felt easier than alsamixer and
>> alsamixer-c1 or something like that.
>>
>>>  as you don't have any capture device anymore?
>>>
>> Yup, but I haven't use any in years anyway.
>>

>>> pactl list
>>>
>>> attached to this mail.
>>

> strange that only two ports are available
>
> Active Profile: output:hdmi-surround-extra0
>     Ports:
>         hdmi-output-0: HDMI / DisplayPort (priority: 5900, latency offset:
> 0 usec, available)
>             Properties:
>                 device.icon_name = "video-display"
>             Part of profile(s): output:hdmi-surround-extra0
>         hdmi-output-3: HDMI / DisplayPort 4 (priority: 5600, latency
> offset: 0 usec, available)
>             Properties:
>                 device.icon_name = "video-display"
>             Part of profile(s): output:hdmi-surround-extra3
>

>>  Do pulseaudio server select null sink or hdmi.monitor as the default
>>> source ?
>>>
>> The way I read it in the log hdmi.monitor:
>> 7700/7800 Series] Digital Surround 5.1 (HDMI 0)"
>> "device.class = "monitor""
>>

> pactl stat
>

>>> cat /proc/asound/card0/eld#*.0
>>>
>>> attached
>>

>>  does your hdmi montior name appear in one of the six eld
>>>
>>> It appears exactly in the 0 one you mentioned above.:
>> "monitor_present         1
>> eld_valid               1
>> monitor_name
>> connection_type         HDMI"
>>

> is these emulated ELD since monitor name, manufacture id, product id are
> absent ?
>
> No idea

> did you find your hdmi monitor/TV 's EDID in graphic driver ?
>
> I found this:
[     7.987] (II) RADEON(0): EDID for output HDMI-0
[     7.987] (II) RADEON(0): Manufacturer: DON  Model: 26  Serial#: 16843009
[     7.987] (II) RADEON(0): Year: 2011  Week: 0
[     7.987] (II) RADEON(0): EDID Version: 1.3

Thanks!