[pulseaudio-discuss] Playing audion on TV through HDMI cable with mplayer

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 15 08:05:20 PST 2013

I tried the DVI outputs from the video card, but could not get that to work.

However, I added this line to /etc/pulse/default.pa (as you suggested),
restarted pulseaudio, and it worked:

    load-module module-alsa-sink device=hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1

However, I don't know why.  The working mplayer command uses a different device number

    mplayer FILE.avi -ao alsa:device=hw=1.7

Then, I removed the above line from /etc/pulse/default.pa, restarted pulseaudio, and it
still worked.  So. it works, and I'm happy.  But I don't know why.