[pulseaudio-discuss] Multiple users at once - is system mode necessary?

Peter Hartmann mailbox.tec at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 01:40:54 PST 2013

Hello

I use PulseAudio daily with KDE 4. Recently, I've encountered a problem
that I can't seem to solve on my own and I'd like to request assistance
from this mailing list.

Being a bit cautious about closed source applications and any data they
may be sending (call me paranoid), I keep a 'noremote' user, with
iptables configured to drop any tcp or udp packets coming from this uid.
Then I launch the program with simple 'sudo -u noremote'.

I've recently bought GuitarPro and attempted this procedure, only to
find that it won't work with PulseAudio. GuitarPro is built to use PA
directly, and from what I've found it seems that PA is suited for
single-user workstation, expecting only one user at the moment. From
what I've googled, it seems that 'system mode' would enable PA use with
multiple users at once, but I've read 'What is wrong with system mode'
to learn that it's unsupported and brings certain limitations.

So here I'm asking, if using PA in system mode is discouraged, does it
provide any other facility to use in my scenario?