[pulseaudio-discuss] Mixing audio sources and casting to the net

iam here iamhereintheworld at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 05:44:41 PST 2013

Hi there,
I'm new to all this Linux audio business and was wondering if I could get
some help here. I got to know only yesterday that my Ubuntu 10.10, which I
still use, uses Pulseaudio.
Let me explain what I want to do:
I want to plug in a mic into the microphone socket, and have that be mixed
with a beat from Hydrogen. Then I want to cast this whole thing to the net
(using icecast and ices). Also, I would like to have the REMOTE side play a
beat, either from Hydrogen, or from anything else that they have (plugged
into the Mic socket), and have that be transmitted to my side, so that a
LOCAL vocalist can sing over the backing stuff. Besides that, I would like
to also have a link between both sides using Ekiga, so that I can see the
person at the other end, and hear them, but THAT audio is not to be recast
using icecast, otherwise I guess I'll get terrible echoing.

This is all that's coming to mind right now for the idea that I have, could
someone please explain to me what it is I have to do? :) I myself am on
Ubuntu 10.10, as well as Ubuntu Studio 11.10, but the laptop where all this
is going to happen is new, ie. no OS installed yet. I have discs of Ubuntu
12.04 as well as Fedora 17, so I'll install whichever one you guys tell me
to. I would prefer Fedora because Ubuntu has a bad habit of updating itself
without asking, and if my audio or video starts skipping because the net
link is saturated, I'll bloody KILL someone! :)

Thanks for all your help.