[pulseaudio-discuss] Playback pauses

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Tue Feb 12 11:05:44 PST 2013

On Tue, 2013-02-12 at 22:53 +0600, Dmitri Paduchikh wrote:
> Here, on Arch Linux, the value of CONFIG_SND_HDA_PREALLOC_SIZE is set to
>  4096. Am I understanding correctly that maximal latency depends not
>  only on this buffer size but also on the sound format used? I was
>  experimenting with sound of 8-bit unsigned encoding, 1 ch, rate 11025
>  Hz.

The kernel option sets the buffer size in bytes. Depending on the audio
format parameters, a given amount of bytes can hold a shorter or longer
time of audio. If the audio quality is low, a longer time of it can fit
in the buffer.

Varying the file parameters doesn't have any effect, though, because the
audio is always first converted to the format that the sink uses. There
are better ways to limit the buffer size than increasing the sink format
parameters (see my previous mail).