[pulseaudio-discuss] [RFC v0 5/5] bluetooth: Merge all ports into "bluetooth-input" and "bluetooth-output"

Mikel Astiz mikel.astiz.oss at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 02:29:36 PST 2013

Hi Tanu,

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-02-13 at 14:48 +0100, Mikel Astiz wrote:
>> From: Mikel Astiz <mikel.astiz at bmw-carit.de>
>>
>> The card profile availability flag already provides all the necessary
>> information and therefore all Bluetooth ports can be merged. The
>> availability of this port now represents whether the device is
>> streaming audio, with the following mapping:
>> - PA_PORT_AVAILABLE_UNKNOWN: some profile connected but not streaming
>> - PA_PORT_AVAILABLE_NO: no profiles connected (module will unload soon)
>> - PA_PORT_AVAILABILE_YES: some profile streaming (regardless of which)
>>
>> This information will generally be of little use, since the card profile
>> availability flag provides more accurate information.
>
> I think input and output should be handled separately.

Do you mean regarding the card availability flag or the port-specific one?

If you were referring to the later, I agree it should be handled
independently for input and output. I'll change this in the next
version.

> Also, you changed things so that now both the input and the output port
> are always created. I don't think we should create both, if the device
> doesn't support both input and output.

This would be possible but then the number of ports would depend on
the UUID list, meaning that the core needs to support dynamic port
creation. We did add this feature to the core recently, but I was
actually thinking that it should be reverted.

Let's say we pair a Bluetooth microphone, with input capabilities
only. In order to simplify the core, I would propose we still create
the output port but set the availability flag to AVAILABLE_NO. This
should be part of v1.

Cheers,
Mikel