[pulseaudio-discuss] Devices with dynamic capabilities (HDMI) - revisited

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Wed Jan 23 12:30:49 PST 2013

> Anyway, I'm proposing that cards are dynamically added and removed as
> HDMI monitors are plugged in and out, for the following reasons:
>
>  1) An HDMI monitor is a lot like a USB card in that sense that it
> affects the streaming capabilities. Assuming we add some part of the
> ELD info as the card name, it enables us to save information per
> monitor rather than per output, so that, e g, when a user's laptop is
> connected to his TV at home, audio gets rerouted, but not when he's
> connecting to his projector at work, or something like that.

Sounds good but there are practical difficulties with your proposal. On
some of my boxes, HDMI is only detected if plugged-in at boot time
(could be BIOS only detection). Then the HDA device will accept PCM and
'render' audio, even without any cable plugged. And last, the ELD
information can be completely garbled or misleading.
-Pierre