[pulseaudio-discuss] RFC: Getting rid of the GConf dependency

Justin Chudgar justin at justinzane.com
Tue Jan 29 08:11:56 PST 2013

Some thoughts from a user perspective...

On 01/29/2013 07:27 AM, David Henningsson wrote:
> On 01/29/2013 02:47 PM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
Absolutely, one of the more appealing things about pulseaudio is the
very clean, simple and effective command language. The fact that `pacmd`
and the configuration files use the same exact syntax makes the learning
curve exceptionally flat. Using the same or a very similar syntax and
file location(s) for ALL pulseaudio settings would be wonderful. To me,
this is the beauty of Linux/*nix -- most everything is either an
executable file or a text file.

If `module-rtp-manager` saves its settings in `~/.pulse/rtp.pa`, I would
think that "#include rtp.pa" in `default.pa` would allow both manual and
managed settings to be clearly organized.

I've had problems with modules "appearing" after I had removed them from
`default.pa` because I had forgotten about `paprefs` settings. I would
recommend that everything be stored as text, in reasonable clearly named
files. For example, "~/.pulse/default.pa", "~/.pulse/paprefs.pa",
"~/.pulse/manager.pa", etc. That way, a simple "ls -t" shows what
settings have been changed recently.
>>> What makes it easier to figure out, would be
>>> 1) less files/directories to look in
>>> 2) less number of ways to load a module
>>>
>>> GConf fails in both of the above. I was hoping we could do better.
>>>
>>>   > so maybe you're
>>>   > having problem with the whole "manager module" concept?
>>>
>>> Maybe so.
>>>
>>> If we try to design this from the client's perspective, i e paprefs or
>>> possibly other apps in the future, we would essentially need these
>>> function additions to the client API:
>>>
>>>    * Is a module loaded by default on startup (set/get)
>>>    * Module parameters (set/get)
To me, there is a relatively standard way of presenting this
graphically. Rather than torture the english language with a
description, I'll just reference an example that I think fits well:
KDE's System Settings - Autostart page. It quickly and clearly shows
what is enabled and allows one click access to detailed "properties"
editing.
>>>    * Possibly a way to get/set in what order modules are loaded at
>>> startup, but not sure if this is really needed.
Seems like the ordering is could be handled by using something
like`.iffail \n load-module module-silly host=rabbit \n .thenfail
load-module module-boring \n .endiffail`