[pulseaudio-discuss] Sensing connection from wired headset and subsequent muting of main speakers

Dennis Carr dennisthetiger at chez-vrolet.net
Tue Jan 29 13:28:23 PST 2013

I am running Linux (Debian Squeeze), and I currently have PulseAudio
0.9.21 on my machine that is controlling my sound - and it's wonky as
heck, but I'm working out some of the details.

The big detail I'm concerned about is this - if I boot into Windows, it
will automatically mute my main speakers if I connect my headphones to
the front panel jack.  Not so with Linux, at this point - it will
simply play through the headphones and main speakers.  This can be a
problem, as manually switching this each time is a pain in the neck,
and I have roommates who, due to work shift requirements, bed down
early.

To note, I am using Gnome as my interface of choice in X.

So the nutshell question - how do I configure my sound so that my
speakers mute when I plug in headphones?  As an aside, what more
information is needed to best answer this question?

-Dennis Carr