[pulseaudio-discuss] Crackling audio with Pulseaudio 4.0 and the simple Pulse API.

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Wed Jul 10 01:12:18 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-07-10 at 16:18 +1000, Luke Yelavich wrote:
> Hey folks.
> I've been experiencing some weird  and infrequent crackling of audio
> with pulse 4, and applications that use the simple pulse API. The
> crackling tends to happen at the very start of the buffer, causing a
> varying amount of audio to be audible as noise, or not at all. This
> doesn't occur when other applications are playing audio at the same
> time, and it comes and goes, and I can never predict when it might
> start to happen, or when it will go away. Unfortunately I haven't been
> able to reliably log this, since it seems to occur very infrequently
> if not at all whilst being logged with full verbose output.

If it doesn't happen when other applications are playing audio, it
probably only happens when the device suspended prior to
speech-dispatches starting to play it's audio. Reducing the suspend
timeout from the default 5 seconds to 1 or 0 seconds may help with
reproducing the issue more frequently. Setting the timeout to 0 seconds
can be done by giving argument "timeout=0" to module-suspend-on-idle.